Text Analysis and Knowledge Engineering Lab (TakeLab) at FER, University of Zagreb, Croatia, invites applications for student internships in the 2021-Q3/Q4 round. The internships are in R&D for natural language processing. We offer a 3 to 6 month half-time internship with a possibility for extension. The internship period is July 2021 the earliest till the end of December 2021 at the latest. The internship period is negotiated on a per-person basis.
TakeLab FER is a young and dynamic research team and the leading group for Natural Language Processing and Text Analytics in Croatia. The group pursues diverse research topics, ranging from information extraction and semantic search to computational semantics and opinion mining.
In this round, we’re looking for interns to work on the following projects:
- UISUSD, a semantic search engine for Croatian legislative documents,
- AIDWAS, real-time threat detection from social media texts,
- TakeLab Retriever, a platform for real-time Croatian news media analysis and tracking,
- TakeLab Alanno, a platform for active learning-based data annotation,
- TakeLab Podium, a recently released NLP loading & preprocessing library.
- implementing machine learning models for natural language processing problems,
- integrating and optimizing machine learning models for production-level software systems,
- software development for natural language processing-based systems.
- 1+ years of programming in an object-oriented language,
- computer science fundamentals in algorithms, data structures, and distributed systems,
- Linux / git / networking basics,
- eagerness to learn.
- research interest in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing,
- 3+ months of hands-on software development experience,
- pursuing a Bachelor’s / Master’s / PhD in Computer Science,
- familiarity with Python.
With us, you can:
- develop state-of-the-art machine learning and NLP frameworks,
- be a part of the best Croatian NLP research group,
- publish papers on the top-tier NLP conferences (ACL, NAACL, EMNLP),
- expand your software development skillset in our TakeLab skills sessions,
- help yourself to relevant NLP and machine learning literature,
- open-source your work,
- exercise for free in the sports complex Martinovka,
- unwind in Christmas parties and summer Sljeme hikes (if COVID permits).
Please direct all your inquiries to email@example.com.
Applications (a short Statement of Interest and a CV, combined in a single PDF) should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications received before 18 June 2021 will receive full consideration. The positions remain open until filled.
As an equal opportunities employer, TakeLab FER positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.