Pocket Worlds is looking for a Junior Python Developer to join our small backend team with a remote set-up.
Click the logo to go to the application page!
About Pocket Worlds
We harness the power of virtual worlds and the metaverse to connect people. We build deep, rich virtual worlds that are social by design and last for decades. Our first world, Highrise, is a creative 2D isometric world where people make avatars, express themselves, and create deep friendships along the way. Over 10 million people have already joined the world of Highrise, and it’s growing faster every day.
We’re a completely remote company with a diverse set of employees spanning 16 different countries. We are connected by a singular mission of building amazing games that bring our players together, and we live by our values, which you can read here.
Join our world class team who’ve shipped amazing products for Apple, Google, Electronic Arts, Zeptolab, Nanobit, and other top companies.
About the Role
Our backend team of four is looking for a talented and highly enthusiastic Junior Python Developer who wants to become a vital member of the team that wears many hats and moves fast. You’ll be working on reliability, efficiency and scalability of our systems alongside senior developers who will help you and let you grow within the company in a way that suits your individual needs. We will give you the training and guidance you need to get where you want in your career and expect you to be excited about working on a live game product with a massive number of active users.
This role, along with our entire company, is fully remote.
The compensation for this role will be $30-50k USD yearly.
As a Junior Python Developer under lead supervision, you will:
- Work on server-side of Highrise with our current tech stack: Python/asyncio, Golang, AWS, Kubernetes, Mongo, Redshift, etc.
- Explore new development technologies and frameworks
- Be one of four backend engineers on our small and fast moving team
- Work in a dynamic environment that applies state of the art software practices
- Most importantly, improve yourself every day
To be successful in this role, we’d expect you to:
- Have entry level experience as a software developer with a degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or related field
- Have practical Python backend experience (internship, part-time work while studying, etc.)
- Understand architecture and development patterns
- Be able to learn on the job and show an aptitude for solving complex technical problems
- Be able to work well in a distributed yet collaborative team environment
- Be able to communicate in English at a native speaking and writing level
- Be highly communicative and go out of your way to contribute to the team and help others
Nice to have:
- Passion for developing and playing games
- Any games development experience, especially mobile games
- Knowledge/exposure to AWS, Kubernetes and Docker
Within 3 months you’ll…
- Merge and deploy your first pull request
- Learn our architecture and codebases
- Fix a number of bugs and refactor parts of the codebases
Within 6 months you’ll…
- Implement your first smaller feature
- Contribute to our documentation
- Become proficient in modern Python development practices
- Home office stipend. Haven’t worked remotely before? We offer a generous stipend to help you set up a productive workspace.
- Unlimited Vacation policy. Time off is important – we encourage you to take the time you need.
- Education stipend. We deeply believe in learning and self improvement. We’ve set aside a budget for every employee to learn additional skills and grow.
Apply here directly or ask Kate at email@example.com any questions you might have.