Are you interested in attackers’ behavior while attacking someone, and what tactics and techniques they use? Are you interested in what defenders do to repel attackers? Are you interested in AI/ML, game theory, gamification, simulation and other advanced techniques and tools? Do you like to read and learn, are curious, like to solve hard problems, have initiative and ideas?
If the answer is Yes, then we might have a project for you! We are looking for motivated people that will solve hard problems. Your primary job, on this project, is to gain knowledge by learning, reading, experimenting and then to create a new knowledge. You’ll also leverage your coding skills and apply this knowledge in helping to produce a working prototype. Note that we don’t seek for experts, intermediate coding skills and willingness to learn should do! Applications in a form of a simple mail, as well as any questions you might have can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research should have a purpose, and thus we are working with a company to develop a training platform for companies and institutions that will allow them to practice and test their defenses while being under the attack. So, we have to implement a virtual world in which there will be defenders with their assets, attackers with goals and resources, and anything else that might influence the interaction between defenders and attackers. Furthermore, we have to automate attackers, measure damage to defenders and take care of limited resources by both attackers and defenders. Finally, we are not making a game, but something that has to strongly correlate with what’s happening in the real world which will bring its own set of challenges. The problems we are trying to solve are hard ones, and no one, as of now, did this in such a way we are trying to do. Yet, there are a lot of pieces of a puzzle already around, like AlphaGo, AlphaStar, and SecuriCAD, that will provide us with something to study and build upon. And when we implement the platform, we’ll have a unique system that will open up a whole new set of opportunities to experiment with.
With us, you’ll:
- become a security expert,
- learn advanced techniques like AI/ML and game theory,
- develop critical thinking,
- learn how to write technical and scientific papers,
- have an opportunity to obtain Ph.D.,
- network with people around the world doing similar things,
Something we expect from you to do:
- read literature as much as possible, primarily scientific papers,
- study attacks that occurred on the Internet,
- create attack scenarios that could be played/simulated,
- work on extending simulator to support new actions, objects, attributes etc.,
- write papers,
- develop a means to automate attackers’ behavior.