For the Audio department in Erlangen, the Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS is currently offering Scientific Internships, Bachelor’s and Master’s Theses for the Research Area »Speech and Audio Coding«.
Fraunhofer IIS has become known worldwide for its significant participation in the development of audio coding technologies like mp3 and AAC. More than 1,000 companies worldwide have licensed the audio technologies of Fraunhofer IIS and have now deployed more than seven billion products. Providing major contributions to the standardization and the deployment of MPEG-H 3D Audio for next-generation TV broadcast, we have shown once more that we are to date on the cutting edge of innovation.
- possess decent knowledge in Digital Signal Processing,
- are interested in Psychoacoustics and Audio Signal Processing,
- hold some programming experience in at least one of the following: C/C++, Python, MATLAB,
- are highly motivated to learn, work on complex tasks, use creativity for solving problems,
- have good English and communication skills.
What you can expect from us:
- an open and friendly working environment in an international research institute,
- many opportunities to gain practical experience,
- flexible working hours that allow you to balance your research and study activities,
- guidance and support in your research,
- possibility to contribute with your own ideas and enjoy substantial creative leeway,
- a chance to work in state-of-the-art research and technology.
We permanently advance our research in audio coding and processing topics, and we constantly improve our codecs in terms of perceptual quality and computational complexity. As such we embark in research in analytic signal processing as well as investigations into supervised learning techniques such as neural networks. In-depth work descriptions depend on the type of position you apply to, your abilities and other factors and will be provided if you inquire for a concrete position.
The duration for the thesis should be at least 6 months and it can be started any time that suits you.
The topic will be assigned and carried out in accordance with the rules of your university. For this reason, please discuss the topic with a professor who can advise you over the course of the project.
Are you interested?
Please apply for this position using the link.
Applications are possible in German and English. Please include a cover letter, your CV and your latest transcripts of records (as PDF) and quote ID number 41961. Address your application to Nina Wörlein.
For more information about the institute and its products and services, please visit our website.